Exploring the University City in Baden-Württemburg during the Summer
What is there to do in a city where over a quarter of the population is university students? Plenty! Here is a list of things to do in picturesque Tübingen, Germany. The city of Tübingen, Germany, is located along the Neckar River in the southwestern state of Baden-Württemberg, just a few hours from the eastern French border. With a population of 80,000, of which at least 20,000 are students, the town is truly a university city.
Tübingen Vocabulary All Visitors Should Know
In order to understand where to go and what certain place names mean, here is a cheat sheet for some of Tübingen‘s main streets and squares:
- Marktplatz: The main square in town, literally “marketplace.”
- Wilhelmstrasse: “Strasse” is German for “street.” Wilhelmstrasse is the main road that runs through the University of Tübingen.
- Uni: the abbreviation for Universität (university)
- Hofmarkt: The plaza in front of the Stiftskirche (one of the churches) in the center of the town
Twenty Things to Do in Tübingen
The best time to visit the city is in the summer, without question. While most of the suggestions for activities are best enjoyed in the summer, there are a few that are fun at any time of the year:
- Buy gelato at San Marco or La Dolce Vita…
- …and walk along the Neckar River with said gelato.
- Sunbathe in the park on Wilhelmstrasse (in between the old city center and the university)
- Go for a run along the Neckar River
- Split a bottle of wine with friends in the Marktplatz or the park
- Visit the Stadtmuseum just off of the Marktplatz
- Walk to Kloster Bebenhausen, a monastery just a couple of kilometers north of the city center
- Go up to the Schloss (castle) and see the Schlossmuseum…
- …then step outside and enjoy the view of the town below…
- …and then head to the nearby Schlosscafe (Cafe at the Castle) for drinks!
- Stocherkahn (go punting) on the Neckar River…
- …or go paddle boating on the Neckar (das Tretboot/Tretboot fahren)
- Walk out to the Schwärzlocher Hof for some authentic Schwäbisch food.
- Go to Neckarmüller, the Biergarten on the river near the center of town.
- Climb the tower of the Stiftskirche for a fantastic view of the city and the surrounding area.
- Hop on the train and go one stop over to Kirchentellinsfurt, home to a lake perfect for a swim.
- Go shopping at one of the locally owned specialty stores in the old city center.
- See a German movie at one of the theaters in town.
- Check out one of the popular bars, such as the Irish Pub on Wilhelmstrasse.
- Go to Tübingen and see for yourself what the city has to offer!
Summer is the height of the University of Tübingen’s summer semester, which does not finish until the end of July, so there are plenty of students around and plenty of events going on in the city through the university and other local organizations.
Tübingen is a fantastic place to spend a couple of days, but to do all twenty activities on the list, at least three or four days in the town are necessary!