You might wonder what the above picture represents—this is a photo of the huge stash of coffee that we brought back from a recent trip to Ethiopia. Ethiopia’s coffee has amazing taste and texture, and we were thrilled to be able to bring back so much to enjoy and to share.
The only way we were able to bring back so much coffee with us was to pack lightly for our trip. I want to talk a bit about some advantages of and tips for packing lightly for your next trip, whether it is a domestic trip or an international one.
The advantages of packing light are many: when you pack lightly, you can enjoy the convenience not having to check any bags if you are flying. If you learn how to pack lightly, you can be ready for an impromptu trip without getting stressed or anxious while you get ready. When you pack lightly, you will feel less encumbered in your travels—leaving you free to actually enjoy your new surroundings. And, as mentioned above, packing lightly enables you to bring back all sorts of souvenirs that you might otherwise not be able to bring home.
So what are some tips for packing lightly on your next trip? Packing lightly is actually simpler than you might think, and once you try it a few times, you will find your packing experience getting easier and easier.
1) Make sure to take travel-size toiletries. Even if traveling by car without airline restrictions, smaller-size toiletry items will take up less space and make your packing more efficient.
2) Pack only one pair of comfortable shoes. Invest in a good pair of shoes that are comfortable and can be worn in a variety of settings.
3) Pack clothes that can do double duty. Can you wear pajamas as workout clothes? Can you utilize a scarf for warmth and as an accessory? Can you take an outfit that can either be dressed up or down according to your daily needs?
4) Pack clothes that can be worn in layers. Lightweight layering clothes are a must for packing lightly. Pass over bulky clothing items in favor of thinner items that can be packed easily and lightly but can still provide warmth and variety as needed.
5) Pack a small clothesline and packet of soap for hand washing your clothes. If you can hand wash some of your clothes, you can extend your stay at a moment’s notice without any stress over what to wear. The lightweight clothes you have packed should be able to dry quickly and easily when washed by hand.
6) Invest in luggage that will make light packing more convenient. Look for bags or suitcases that have multiple inner pockets, which enable you to pack your things efficiently so that you can see at a glance exactly what you have. Packing lightly is a great way to eliminate packing and traveling stress while at the same time maximizing your vacation or business trip. Happy packing!